Internships and Work Placements
Do you have a project that requires further support with specialist skills? Would you like an opportunity to get a head start on recruiting the best new talent for your company? Our students may be the answer.
With 48 per cent of students starting to look for graduate employment in their penultimate year, employers who attract and recruit interns can gain better access to top performing candidates. Hosting an intern is a mutually beneficial way of scoping out future candidates, without locking yourself into a permanent employee.
Benefits of hosting an intern include:
- talent pooling for graduate roles, reducing the cost for future recruitment. Assess cultural fit and motivation on-the-job, rather than in an interview
- typically unpaid and shortlisted by Deakin
- flexible hours based around your and the student’s availability – one day per week or full-time
Range of flexible and diverse internship options, designed to meet industry and employer needs.
- credit-bearing short term internships (100–160 hours)
- longer-term (3–12 months) industry-based learning paid roles
- community volunteering placements
- placements that go towards a student’s professional recognition in their field
- professional experience placements for those students who have ongoing placements as part of their course
The FreelancingHUB is an exciting and innovative work-integrated learning initiative designed to develop work-ready graduates.
The FreelancingHUB offers on-site group-based internship placements within cross-disciplinary,cross-cultural teams developing a solution for a not-for-profit, social enterprise, government agency or community organisation.
In addition to developing key employability skills such as communication, collaboration, creativity and critical thinking, the HUB gives interns an opportunity to experience the shared economy of co-located work places and learn freelancing.
Placements within the project teams are open to undergraduate and postgraduate students across all study areas and campuses (including the Cloud). Each project team is assigned an experienced mentor and project manager, and regular client interaction is facilitated by the FreelancingHUB.
Some of the organisations we have worked with in the past include Salvation Army, Parliament of Victoria, Wildlife Victoria, Lighthouse Foundation, Hobsons Bay Wetlands Centre and Australian Centre for Rural Entrepreneurship (ACRE).
For more information about the FreelancingHUB and to discuss a potential project, please contact the FreelancingHUB
Want to know more?
If you’re interested in offering an internship or work placement, please complete our expression of interest form.